Friday, February 6, 2009

Mean People Suck

So, at any given point in time, people can be nice or mean or kind or cruel. I think we are all made up of some of each of these traits. However, some people, as my mother would say, don't have a nice bone in their body.

Such is the case with non-tipping, lying, unattractive couple. Now, any of those traits alone would probably eliminate this couple from my list of potential BFFs, but all of them combined make one doozy of a person that needs to be voted off this island.

Let me explain. Lying couple comes in every week, usually right around two, sometimes before sometimes immediately after. Lying couple will only pay lunch special pricing. This saves them a whopping $4. If you explain that the lunch special ended at two, they either make a scene or lie that we always make exceptions for them. Occasionally servers will change while they are there. They will lie to the second server and say the first server ok'd the discount. This annoys me.

After waiting on them for nine months, they have never left a tip. Now, I don't need the measly two dollars, but I insist on knowing why. Are they just cheap? Do they believe that tipping is perpetuating a system that they disagree with on a moral level. Most importantly, I need to know if I did something wrong.

So, Yesterday, I asked them, politely if they choose not to tip because the service is not up to par. Unattractive gentleman (no offense, but how DO these people get married?) tells me I am nervy and rude, that it is none of my business (really, its MY job he is affecting) and ultimately ignores the question and threatens "your manager is going to find out about this."

Then he calls Sonia and complains. She reiterates the question "What is the reason you didn't tip her? Did she do something wrong?" All she gets is accusations that this customers friends and family all hate me and I am a rude server. She shrugs it off. I am scarred for life.

So now, as I prepare to return to work, I admit to a little hesitation. Is this something I can get over? Is there any way to somehow make myself feel better? Should I seek retaliation or follow the Bible "Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord." 

Yes, it was a nervy question, but it is also nervy to NEVER tip your waitress. Seriously. She is carrying your food and is ultimately responsible for the experience you have in the restaurant. Isn't that worth $1.50?

2 comments:

The Searle Family said...

Amanda, I love this post! I know exactly how you feel and I love that you actually asked him why he does not tip. I'm so sorry what a jerk. I hope he starts tipping or doesn't come back!

Cherri said...

You make me laugh Amanda just because you have the nerve to be nervy and then later worry about your being nervy and that dumb guy. He is a dumb guy isn't he?