Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wave Your Knickers In The Air

Before the adventure in parenthood began, Mr Darling and I made a lovely friend, the beautiful evie ivy overstreet. She is simply fantastic and talented at just about everything she seems to try. Evie's parenting has always impressed my sweet husband. Her children are well behaved, smart, and friendly, rarely watch tv and usually play with handmade toys. If that isn't enough, she cloth diapered...whew! 

But, Mr Darling was inspired. I was intrigued. Thus, we frequently discussed how amazing Evie is and how much we would like to emulate her mad parenting skills. And she made me think that perhaps cloth diapering was frugal, environmentally friendly and doable, not scary, overwhelming and gross.

(yes, this is my adorable daughter, No, this is NOT a diaper we use regularly!)
(pictures by peekaboo photos)
So we discussed. We pondered. We researched. I walked across the street and saw that another fantastic neighbor covered her baby's bum in cloth. I bit the bullet. Then we shelled out a considerable chunk of change on diapers. We chose these one size covers with organic cotton liners from "GroBaby".

 We felt that we chose the best option for our lifestyle. They snap smaller and then you unsnap them as baby gets bigger. Best of all, by my math, they will pay themselves off in 15 weeks. Seriously, I think I will be diapering a lot longer than that since we are at nine weeks and Abby has yet to say the word "potty".

Now, why am I blogging about diapers? Because I am excited at how easy they are. Hopefully, some other mom out there will read this and think, "hey, I can do that!"

I love that I don't deal with leaks and blowouts. I love not making emergency trips to the store because we are out of diapers. I love that my garbage can isn't overflowing with non-biodegradable ickiness.

I confess that I still use disposables overnight (and for those I thank the lovely ladies who came to my baby shower... thankyouthankyouthankyou). Disposables can hold more liquid overnight than cloth. But during the day? I DO NOT like changing clothes covered in poop. I have had to do it in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning and it is GROSS. And baby poo? It does NOT come out easy... Lifting a diaper liner out and throwing it in the pail is WAY easier. And not ruining Abby's cute clothes makes the extra 3-4 laundry loads every week totally worth it.

So, here it is. My name is Amanda and I am addicted to cloth diapers. I do it because it saves money. I do it because it saves the environment. I do it because I don't like poopy clothes or diaper rash. I am so glad that someone gave me the confidence to try it and for a supportive husband who agreed to brave this road with me.

3 comments:

eve said...

amanda, i am BLUSHING!!
wow you are sweet.
i am so proud of you about the cloth diapering and so thrilled it is working out. i hear you on getting addicted to it, it sounds funny but it's so true.
i am really hoping number three doesn't have the same skin issues as his brothers and we can do it again full time.
i know you are already an amazing mamma and will surely be an inspiration to other's around you.

Cherri said...

Go Amanda :)

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

the best thing i found to get rid of any baby stain is baby oxy clean spray. that stuff works wonders!