Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The More We Get Together

Family Reunion 2010
These last several days were spent at Fish Haven Lodge near Bear Lake. 
Many Many family members were able to come.
(This is *MOST* of the group)
And this is Mr Darling's own little family.
And would you believe that I VOLUNTEERED to do the food? Really? What was I thinking?
First I planned, and lists of meals, ingredients, and to-dos were scattered around my house.
Next, I shopped. And oh, my did I shop. There was food EVERYWHERE in my house. I wish I had taken a picture. But, perhaps you can tell by the amount that overflowed into my living room how much I had to buy to feed so many people.


Of course, Abby helped me get ready by unpacking the boxes as I packed them up.
Then, into the car and off to Bear Lake!

Where, for four days, we set out enormous amounts of food and watched them disappear.


(Yes, that is fresh, Utah Sweet corn and yummy watermelon-Delish!)
In between, we hiked all the way through the marsh and down to the lake,
Ate a lot of apricots that Cherri and I had picked from a neighbor before we left,

And sampled the famous raspberry milkshakes of Bear Lake.

All in all, I believe the reunion was a success. We learned a lot about how to prepare and serve large meals, entertain 60 people of all ages, and participated in a wonderful testimony meeting where we shared our love for our Saviour with our family.

I have been asked to share some of the recipes I used at the reunion. The first in a series, today I am posting a fairly common recipe for:

Green Goddess Salad Dressing
Ranking: tdf
Recipe yields one quart jar full of dressing

1/2 Cup of Mayo
1/2 Cup of Sour Cream
2 T Buttermilk
1 T Rice Wine Vinegar
1 T Worcestershire Sauce
4 Green Onions chopped (green and white)
2 T fresh cilantro chopped 
2 T fresh parsley chopped
1 t white sugar (brown doesn't work)
1 t sea salt
1/2 t of ground pepper (fresh makes a big difference)
dash of cayenne pepper

Mix ingredients in a blender and puree. This recipe should yield a greenish tinted mayonnaise based dressing

I served this over a Cobb Salad with a Spinach Base, crumbled bacon, hard boiled eggs, home-made guacamole, pico de gallo, black beans, and a very pretty yellow pepper salsa. 

3 comments:

Kimber said...

YAY! the incredibly yummy green goddess drressing! keep em coming girl!

prsd4tim2 said...

Would have loved to have indulged in the apricots too. My favorite!

Amy said...

Amanda....Thanks for sharing these recipes...I loved, loved, loved your food! Thanks again!